How to Lessen Your Liability This Summer
Increasing temperatures and longer, sunnier days means summer is on the horizon. Mother Nature is tempting people to spend those extra hours outdoors camping, boating, road-tripping and doing countless other warm-weather activities. Some people are looking forward to a vacation away, while others are planning family reunions and barbecues close to home. No matter what your summer plans are, it's important to keep in mind that these activities carry a certain amount of liability for you. Even Mother Nature can get ugly from time to time; don’t let the fun of summer keep you from protecting yourself from potential risks.
Whether you're heading across the country for the trip of a lifetime or planning a fiesta-filled staycation, there are a few things you should do first:
Check Your Policies
- Stormy summer weather has the tendency to wreak havoc on your property. Downed trees and roof damage are just a couple of ways it can cause devastation, sending you straight for an insurance claim. And if you don't have the proper coverage, you risk spending a lot of money out-of-pocket for repairs. Regardless of the season, it's crucial to always make sure your home, its contents and your entire property are fully covered and at their current values.
- Let's face it, accidents happen. Even when we’ve played by all the rules, occasional mishaps will pop up and sometimes it will result in an injury. That’s why you want to make sure you're properly covered. Something as simple as having a play date in your backyard can carry the risk of a broken leg, an allergic reaction to a bee sting or any number of unforeseen events. Contact your agent to make sure your homeowners policy covers any accidents that could occur on your property.
- Most homeowners policies follow you while you're on a trip, but it's a good idea to clarify before you go on vacation. If they don't cover rentals, we recommend getting renters insurance for condo or cabin stays. You’ll also want to make sure your home and its contents will be covered while you're away.
- Not all auto policies carry over to cover rentals, which means you may end up being fully liable for any damages incurred while a rented vehicle is in your possession. Whether you’re renting a car or an RV, always check with your agent first, then you may want to consider the policy offered by the rental company.
Play It Safe
One of the best ways to lessen your liability is to stay ahead of the game. A little prep work can go a long way in ensuring your summer goes smoothly.
- If you have a pool, it's highly important to keep it maintained on a regular basis. Before each use, check for debris or other objects that could be harmful to swimmers. Always keep it clean and covered when not in use. Some policies require fencing around pools as a safety precaution, so check with your agent to make sure you’re meeting the guidelines.
- Do frequent walkthroughs of the yard to check for hazards like holes or sharp objects that could cause harm to someone.
- Make sure toys and playground equipment are clean and functioning properly, any fencing is in tact and gates close and lock as they should.
- If using a grill, ensure it's a safe distance from house or other structures to avoid a potential fire hazard.
- Scan your property for any harmful nature--beehives, wasps nests, poison ivy or anything else that could cause issues.
- Stay on top of any activities going on in and around your home; monitor playing children or sporting teenagers and always be aware of your surroundings when outside.
If you're looking for a professional, customer service-oriented agency, give Wiedemann a call. With over 30 years in business, we have the knowledge and experience necessary to get you fully covered and protected from all of life's unforeseen events. With one phone call, we can get you competitive quotes from various companies, saving you a ton of time. As an independent insurance agency, we aren't limited to representing only one company, which means we can ensure you're always getting the best policy at the best price.
Don't let another busy summer go by unprotected, contact Wiedemann today!
Connect with us to stay updated on industry news, helpful advice and what's going on at Wiedemann Insurance Agency.
Posted on Mon, May 23, 2016
by Travis Wiedemann filed under